New Changes in TOEFL 2023 Exam Pattern
TOEFL is a Test of English as a Foreign Language which assesses the English skills of non-native speakers as the Educational Testing Service administers it. This test is accepted by more than 11,000 universities and other institutions in over 190 countries and territories for students who want to enrol in any overseas university or college. Furthermore, ETS is the regulating body of TOEFL all over the world. The ETS India has announced some significant updates to the TOEFL exam, which will be implemented starting 26th July 2023.
Major Changes in TOEFL 2023
- Test Duration: The previous version of the TOEFL test was 3 hours, including a break of 10 minutes. Now, it has been decreased to 2 hours. They have decided to remove the unscored questions, lessen the number of questions in the reading module and remove the time given for breaks. Furthermore, the reading module will be 35 minutes with 20 questions and 36 minutes with 28 questions for the Listening module. However, 29 minutes will remain to perform writing tasks.
- Result Date & Notifications: Now, the test taker will get real-time notifications of their test results via Email and SMS. The result date will be displayed on the screen after the successful submission of the test.
- Exam Fee Payment: The ETS has started accepting the fee for the TOEFL test in India in Indian rupees instead of US Dollars to smoothen the fee payment process. So, they will accept payment through Indian payment methods such as UPI, NetBanking, Debit/Credit Cards, Wallets etc. Also, the TOEFL test fee in India is Rs 16,900 (fixed).
- Dedicated Customer Support in India: The ETS has set up dedicated customer care in India, which is easily accessible via Call or Email between 8 am to 8 pm on all 7 days of the week. You can call them on their Toll-free number at 1-800-123-9418 anytime during business hours.
|Test Duration is 2 hours 55 minutes
|Test Duration is 2 hours
|There are hidden unscored questions in some modules
|There will be no unscored questions
|Exam Fees is paid in US Dollars
|Exam Fees will be paid in Indian Rupees
|No real-time notifications of the result date & time
|Real-time notifications via Email and SMS
Changes in Exam Pattern
- It is important to note that a break of 10 minutes during the Exam will not be offered to applicants as per the new rules and regulations of ETS.
- According to ETS, the TOEFL exam will be completed in only 2 hours instead of 3 hours.
- The score range will remain the same as you will get a score out of 120 for the TOEFL iBT.
TOEFL Exam Booking
The ETS India has announced some significant updates to the TOEFL exam, which will be implemented starting 26th July 2023.
The applicants can book their TOEFL exam in India through the ETS India dedicated website, where they can pay in Indian Rupees instead of US Dollars to avoid issues with International payment and exchange rates. As a part of various campaigns, ETS India usually releases coupons to save on exam fees. The TOEFL exam fee in India is Rs 16,900, including applicable taxes.
We at Abroad Cube help students book their TOEFL exam at Zero Cost and maximize savings using available vouchers and promo codes. This initiative is to help every student book their TOEFL exam under a new pattern without any hassle. Book your TOEFL exam today .
The applicants, who already booked their upcoming exams in the current format and want to move to a new format starting 26th July, can reschedule their exam date at no extra cost as a one-time exception.
Tips for TOEFL Exam Preparation under New Exam Pattern
Here are some tips for doing well on the TOEFL under the new pattern.
- Practise as many mocks as you can. You can use the ETS website to practise legitimate practice exams or other authentic sources. That will help you understand the new pattern and manage your time in the exam hall.
- Vocabulary plays an essential role in the TOEFL exam; you must read the news or books to improve your vocabulary correctly before the exam. These will help with the complex sentences in the new TOEFL exam.
- With the help of mocks, identify your strong and weak areas. Work diligently on your weak areas with the help of in-depth conceptual understanding and practice. You have to cover all the sections adequately before the exams. Refine each skill part and manage the side of your vital part by the side with the help of daily practice.
- As in the new pattern, time is reduced, so you must work on your time management skills efficiently. It can only be improved with more practice; only auditing the questions will not help with time management. You have to implement this practice. Be strict about your time on each section of the TOEFL exam in your practice.
|Newspaper reading is the best method to improve the reading section of the TOEFL exam.
|The best way to improve your speaking is to listen to your words and note any grammatical or pronunciation errors in your notebook. Don’t repeat the same mistakes.
|Adapt to different accents with the help of English movies, songs, podcasts, etc.
|In the writing part, you must collect ideas relating to any topic and arrange those ideas in your notebook. Practise writing content on more and more topics.
Summary TOEFL is a Test of English as a Foreign Language which assesses the English skills of non-native speakers as the Educational Testing Service administers it. This test is accepted by more than 11,000 universities and other institutions in over 190 countries and territories for students who want to enrol in any overseas university or college. Furthermore, ETS is the regulating body of TOEFL all over the world. The ETS India has announced some significant updates to the TOEFL exam, which will be implemented starting 26th July 2023.